This Building was opened in 1919, having been constructed with the support of Professor C. A. Middleton Smith, Sir Catchick Paul Chater and Professor G. P. Jordan, the Acting Vice-Chancellor of the University at the time. Until 1946 it was known as the Union Building.
After World War II, the Building was adapted for administration purposes. It was reconstructed in 1950 and a further extension added in 1962. In 1974 it was converted for use as a Senior Common Room for the University’s academic and senior administrative staff.
It was renamed Hung Hing Ying Building on 1 February 1986 to honour Mr Hung Hing Ying, and in recognition of his family’s generous support of physical sciences research and postgraduate scholarships at the University.
The Hung family’s support of education and HKU was further exemplified: the “Hung Hing Ying and Leung Hau Ling Charitable Foundation” was set up in 1994 to support educational and cultural advancement in Greater China. In 2008, the Hung family made a generous donation to HKU to establish the Hung Leung Hau Ling Distinguished Fellow in Humanities scheme in Madame Hung’s name, as a gift from the Hung family to celebrate her eightieth birthday. Mrs Hung Leung Hau-Ling is the wife of the late Mr Hung Hing-Ying.
The Building for many years housed the Department of Music. It now houses the office of Development and Alumni Affairs Office, HKU Foundation Chamber and the Endowed Professorships Gallery. In 1995 the Hung Hing Ying Building was declared a monument by the Hong Kong Government.