Loke Yew Hall is located in the Main Building, the oldest structure at the University as well as a declared monument. For over a century the Hall has been the venue of major University events and ceremonies.
It used to be called the Great Hall. In January 1956, it was renamed Loke Yew Hall after the Malayan benefactor Dr Loke Yew (HonLLD 1916) who was one of the original supporters of the University in 1912, and saved it from near ruin during the financial crisis of 1915 with a loan of $500,000, made interest-free for 21 years.
Dr Loke’s legacy is continued by his family. His grandchildren endowed the Loke Yew Professorship in Pathology in 2005.
“Loke Yew played a pivotal role in the founding of The University of Hong Kong. He also established a scholarship fund in support of medical and engineering students. The present Loke Yew Hall in the University is named in his honour. We, his grandchildren, have endowed this Professorship in Pathology to continue his legacy.” – Ms Ruby Loke Yuen-Kin and Professor Loke Yung-Wai, grandchildren of Dr Loke Yew